Jessie Andrews is creating her own path

Pushing forward for something you believe in is a character trait that can’t be learned but can be observed. Submission Beauty has stood aside to observe Jessie Andrews’ skills of perseverance and achievement and has had the opportunity to ask her a couple of questions along the way.

PHOTOGRAPHY JESPER LUND  @jesperdlund
INTERVIEW JESPER GUDBERGSEN @yessirjesper

Tell me about your background, is there a specific memory that stands out to you from your childhood?

I grew up in Miami, my parents have been divorced and remarried four times each but I’ve never been to any of the weddings. I started mowing lawns at 12, my Chinese grandma used to give me these plum candy wafers and I hated the smell of her house. 

Your diverse interests have resulted in quite a few different creative paths and businesses. Can you explain to me what each of them means to you and is there possibly a key that binds them all together? 

They each represent a chapter in my life, some overlap and some have closed. At the end of the day, I am the key that makes them all a continuous reality. 

Bagatiba: first of all explain to me the name, but more importantly; tell me about all the lovely sustainable efforts you make with the brand and what goals you are setting for the future ? 

Bagatiba is the word opulence in Latvian, that’s where my grandfather is from. About 90% of the jewelry I make is made with recycled stainless steel, the other 10% is made locally in Los Angeles. I’ve dedicated a whole page on Bagatiba’s website of our sustainability efforts from production, to packaging, to ways you can recycle and up-cycle jewelry with us. I’m always pushing towards progressive sustainability goals and ways to give back to charities. 

Tase Gallery is still a relatively new venture for you, one that’s already made quite the splash. What is your approach to this space and the impact it has to move your business offline? 

This space is ever-changing just like myself and my brands. It’s untraditional and that’s why it’s cool. It’s about community more than art. We’ve worked with the United Nations & Ikea as well as Bulgari & Flos. Name a gallery with this broad a spectrum! We will be physical, then online, then physical again. There’s no reason to keep something permanent, I believe the space should always change location so it is attainable to people in different cities. 

Tell us everything about Euphoria season two, what an exciting ride that must have been. Is acting a new venture for you? 

I love acting, to be honest! I won best actress in 2012 for a movie I did in Adult films. I don’t know why I didn’t start sooner. Season 2 of Euphoria is going to be amazing, it’s all shot on film! I don’t want to give much away since my scene is with Zendaya, but Sam, the director and writer, is a genius.

How does your community of strong women help and nurture you on a day-to-day basis? How did you find each other and tell me what they mean to you? 

I have so many amazing women around me, it fills my life with happiness. Over the years I’ve met friends through modeling, photographing them, working on projects, and Instagram of course. I think the most important thing is putting yourself out there and making a connection to see if you can be more than just an acquaintance. 

Do you have a spiritual practice and how do you implement it in your life? 

I’m not spiritual but that’s something I’d like to explore in the future. 

What did beauty and self-care look like for you growing up?

 It was really nothing. I was a tomboy; played sports and didn’t dress up. I used my sister’s face wash and always brushed my teeth before bed. Now I use hundreds of serums and products I probably shouldn’t, but I feel the best I’ve ever felt in terms of mind and body!

When did you start exploring beauty for yourself, and is natural beauty important to you? 

Once I started shooting porn and getting my makeup done every day, I started to feel the effects wearing on me. I knew I needed to take care of my skin in my downtime, so I never wore makeup when I wasn’t working. No stress, good food, and a good skincare routine are essential. 

How do you define beauty and how has that changed for you over the years?

Beauty is confidence. Society’s idea of beauty is always changing, we’re just trying to adapt to that, but it’s not always healthy. To be beautiful is to be unique, healthy, confident and yourself, in my opinion. 

What’s next for Jessie – what are some goals and dreams for the near future? 

Lots of acting coming in the next year will be spending more time in Europe, trying new things and hopefully making a strong impact for the younger generation to look up to.